Posts Tagged ‘how to communicate with my inmate’

First Steps to take when your loved one is incarcerated.

Find out what facility your loved one is currently being held by clicking on the following link:

First thing you will want to do is send them your phone bill contract. For cellular phones must be a contract phone. No prepaid phones will be approved (Ex. Metro PCS, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Etc.) For home phones a copy of your most recent phone bill will be fine.

When you write use the following format:

Inmate’s last name, first name, DC#
Institution name
Mailing address
City, State Zip Code

Tip: Only 15 pages per envelope

Send your inmate stamps and blank paper

Send in the application for visitation which can be found on this page. (Do this right away. It can take up to 60 days to get approved by the facilities classification department.)

What is a classification officer? Every inmate is assigned a classification officer. This officer places the inmate in the proper custody level, assigns them their job while they are incarcerated, and can be very helpful in the visitation process, they approve and deny visitors and play a very important role. If you have any questions contact the facility your inmate is being housed to and ask to speak with the classifications department. Once you get transferred you will be able to find out who is your inmates classification officer. You will most likely need their DC# which you will find by clicking and entering their information to search for them.

Log onto and create an account. You will need this account to send money to your loved one. You are also able to type letters to your inmate on this website.

Log on to and create an account. You will need this website to add  funds to the inmates prepaid phone account. This is necessary for the inmate to make calls to any number you register and send him information on.

These are the first major steps in being able to communicate with your inmate.

Any questions feel free to contact me at